James D. Warring, CPA/PFS, CFP®
James D. Warring, CPA/PFS, CFP®
Founder & CEO
Shareholder-EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors
Jim Warring is Founder and Chief Executive Officer of EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors, which is comprised of three separate entities: an investment advisory (EagleStone Wealth Advisors, Inc.); a CPA firm (EagleStone Tax & Accounting Services); and a retirement benefits administration firm (EagleStone Retirement Services). With a combined client base of over 1,000 clients, Jim and his wealth management team advise clients on issues relating to saving and deferring taxes, estate preservation techniques, financial independence projections, prudent investment asset allocation models, risk reduction including the use of various insurance-related vehicles, and overall wealth accumulation strategies. Prior to launching EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors in February 2007, Jim practiced tax and financial counseling with prominent Washington, D.C.-area CPA firms, including KPMG Peat Marwick and Arthur Andersen. He was a lead partner with the CPA firm Rubino & McGeehin, Chartered, for nearly 10 years, where he created and directed their wealth management practice. He has been employed in the Washington, D.C. public accounting arena since 1983.
Jim has been published in nationally known publications, including the AICPA’s Journal of Accountancy and the MONEY column of the USA TODAY newspaper. He has been a featured speaker at national conventions, including the AICPA national conference on Advanced Personal Financial Planning (PFP). Jim has also served as an Editor for the PLANNER, a publication of the AICPA’s PFP division.
A native of the Washington, D.C. area, Jim was born in the District of Columbia and raised in Montgomery County, Maryland. He attended Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland, where he graduated magna cum laude and played on their varsity golf team. Jim currently enjoys golf, fitness and scuba diving. He avidly supports many charities with a focus on helping children because he firmly believes in next generation investment for our future. Jim resides in Olney, MD with his three children.
Education, Professional Designations and Licenses
- Towson University, B.S. Accounting and Finance, magna cum laude, varsity golf, June 1983
- Certified Public Accountant, (CPA) 1984 to Present
- Certified Financial Planner, (CFP) 1987 to Present
- Personal Financial Specialist, (PFS) 2004 to Present
- FINRA Series 6, 7, 66 (63 & 65 combined) securities licenses—Active
- Life, Disability, Long-Term Care insurance licenses (MD, DC, VA, PA, NJ)—Active
Affiliations, Memberships and Appointments
- AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants), tax division member—1985 to Present
- Maryland Association of CPAs, member—1985 to Present
- AICPA, Executive Committee appointment, Personal Financial Planning, 2003-2006
- AICPA, Personal Financial Planning Technical Conference Committee, 2003-2006
- Estate Planning Council (suburban Maryland chapter) President, 1999-2000
- Holy Cross Hospital (Finance Committee member, 2000)
- Olney Theatre Center (Board of Directors, April 2016)
Publications and Appearances
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), Double Dipping for Kid Care, February 27, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), First Time Real Estate Buys, May 15, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), Taxing Trust Fund Earnings, May 22, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), Avoid Risky Penny Stocks, May 22, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), The Nasty Nine Tax Questions, April 10, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), Deducting Gifts to Workers, May 8, 1989
- USA TODAY (MONEY column), The Risks of Bond Funds, June 5, 1989
- Physicians Financial News, Compliance Plans Seen Reducing Fraud Exposure, March 15, 1998
- Kleinrocks Publishing, Spotlight on Financial Planning, October 19, 2001
- AICPA Personal Financial Planning Conference, Business Models that Work in a CPA Firm, January 9-12, 2005
- AICPA Personal Financial Planning Conference, Life Settlements, January 9-12, 2005
- Journal of Accountancy, Turn Unneeded Policies Into Cash, September 2005
- AICPA Personal Financial Planning Conference, The New Retirement – Retirement Planning Models, January 9, 2006
- WUSA, Channel 9, Interview with Andrea Roane, Saving For Retirement, July 21, 2006
- WTOP Radio, Interview with Shirley Rooker, Protecting the Vulnerable Against Fraud, August 30, 2006
- Financial Advisor Magazine, R&M Wealth Management Rated 21st Fastest Growing Advisory Firm in its Class, July 2006
Securities offered through DAI Securities, LLC. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory Services offered through EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors. EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors is not affiliated with DAI Securities. Financial planning, investment and wealth management services provided through EagleStone Wealth Advisors, Inc. Tax and accounting services provided through EagleStone Tax & Accounting Services.
Investment products & services are only available to residents of CO, DC, FL, KS, KY, MA, MD, NC, NY, PA, SC, VA & WA.
Licensed to sell insurance and variable annuities in the following States: DC, DE, FL, MD, ME, MI, NC, NJ, NY, PA, SC, & VA.
© EagleStone Tax & Wealth Advisors 2022. All rights reserved.